Two Names


 
The other day I had one of my regular patients call me on the phone wanting to know if I carried the generic version of a particular medication yet.  I explained to this patient that this medication is not yet available as a generic; it is only available as trade name.  He said, “So, you don’t carry it yet?”  

So, I re-adjusted the phone headset on my ear and began explaining again that this particular medication has not yet come off patent; therefore, it is only available as a trade name product.  He then said, “So, if I understand you correctly, it is only available as a generic in the hospital setting.  Last week when I was in the hospital they were giving me the generic version of this medication, and they called it by its generic name.”

I adjusted my footing two steps to the left and began again.  In the most polite tone I could deliver, I explained that each medication has two names, a generic name and a trade name.  I discussed that the nurse who was handing him his medication was calling it by its generic name.  This was correct because that is one of its names; however, it also has a trade name.  The patient then asked me, “Well, how do I know if she was giving me the generic or the trade name, they both look the same?”

This was getting near the end point for this gentleman.  I needed to close the deal with an explanation or I was going to lose him with my clear inability to answer his simple question. 

Again, I adjusted my footing, re-positioned my headset and began my answer.  I went back to the tried and true explanation that there are two names for every medication.  I explained that in the hospital, quite often, the medical and nursing staff talk about medications using their generic name.   Even though a medication may not yet be available through a generic company, they still refer to it using its generic name. 

“OHHH”, he said, interrupting me.  “I get it; it hasn’t come off patent yet.”  That’s it I explained.  After a medication comes off patent, many different companies are able to produce generic versions of the medication, with FDA approval of course.  While the company still holds the patent for a product, they are the only ones who may legally manufacture the medication.  Even though the medication is still covered by a patent and is only available under its trade name, many medical professionals will refer to it using its generic name.

You may also be interested in reading the following blogs:
Generics, The Untold Story
My Pills Look Different
The Danger With Dietary Supplements

Thanks
Steve
www.AudibleRx.com
Copyright  AudibleRx (TM), all rights reserved. Please do not copy or publish or distribute without consent and approval from AudibleRx (TM).