Just Another Customer


So, there I was, just standing there.  I had walked in to the store, there was one person ahead of me and the attendant at the counter was helping them.  The attendant stepped away from the counter because they were, well, I don't know, I guess helping the person at the counter figure something out.  A couple minutes went by......

There were three other workers behind the counter.  All of them looked relatively busy, however, the phone would ring and they would answer it.  As a matter of fact, this happened 2 or 3 times, the phone would ring and they would answer it and deal with whatever.  All the while, the attendant came and left the counter twice trying to help the person in front of me take care of something. 

I noticed that two of the other people behind the counter were having a conversation of some kind, one of them was actually laughing at something the other had said.  So, it has been about five minutes now and the attendant is still helping the person in front of me at the counter.  The other three workers look busy; however, what the heck.  Maybe someone could at least notice that I am here. 

Oh, look at this, someone just came and is now in line behind me.  Now maybe someone else will come out and help us.  I hear the gentleman behind me say something to one of the workers, evidently they know each other and they have a short verbal exchange about some vacation something or other.   The worker reaches behind the counter, picks up a bag of some kind, then hands it to the gentleman and they say thanks and bye. 

Again, what the heck!  The worker gentleman looks my way and says someone will be with me in just a moment.  Just a moment!  Here it has been almost 10 minutes now, the person in front of me is taking the time of two of the other worker people, this guy just had a conversation with the person that came in behind me, and the first acknowledgment I get is from someone who says someone will be with me shortly. 

I don't think so.  I know, I think I will go out into the parking lot and call them on my phone, then maybe they will be able to give me some service.

OK, so maybe this scenario may be a bit exaggerated, however, I know that everyone, at one time or another, has felt this way.  This doesn't necessarily need to be a pharmacy counter, it could be any type of business; however, when I was writing this I was definitely picturing a busy pharmacy. 

In my opinion, if you need to wait in line in your community pharmacy for an extended period of time with zero acknowledgment, you need to find a new community pharmacy.  Do not get me wrong, there may be times when you need to wait in line for an extended period of time, however, simple acknowledgment can go a long way to helping a customer feel like they are being taken care of.

Thanks
Steve
www.AudibleRx.com

Copyright AudibleRx (TM), all rights reserved. Please do not copy or publish or distribute without consent and approval from AudibleRx (TM).